Tuesday, January 25, 2011

BQ (BEFORE QUINN)

I must tell you what my life was like before my 1st hearing dog, Quinn came into my home.  One of the requirements of the many jobs I had was that I must be punctual.  This should be an easy task for most people, but for me it was a very difficult situation.  I tried flashing lights, vibrating pillows and other gadgets.  There wasn't anything that I could totally rely on to get me up at the same time every morning.  I became a light sleeper-tense with watching the clock hour after hour.  It was something that I had to do to keep my job.  I had never known what it means to really relax and fall into a deep restful sleep.  I could not understand at all how I was able to function in my job with the little sleep I had.

Before Quinn, I missed countless phone calls because I couldn't hear the phone ring.  It caused me much grief and frustration.  I've had people trying to reach me and they would vent their frustration on my answering machine.  It was a vicious cycle of constant turmoil.  I have had my family shout in my machine saying, "Where are you?"  Pick up the phone!  It is definitely not the most pleasant experience.  Many people truly did not understand my situation.

What do you do when someone is knocking at your door?  You answer it,of course.  But for me, it was a series of complications.  What do you do when a repair man says he'll be there between 12-5 p.m?  I had to be alert at all times.  I couldn't relax.  I had to take medication for severe anxiety.  What do you do when the paper carrier come to collect or when the lawn service wants their payment.  I'v had to put the money in an envelope and tape it to the back door.  There were more problems than solutions for something as simple as a knock on my door.

Yes, we all have heavy crosses to bear and what about mine?  Well, mine is a much lighter load with the many blessings of having Quinn in my home.  You cannot imagine what a difference this dog has made in my life.  Thank you Paws With A Cause!  Thank you very, very much.

On September 6th, 2000 Quinn did something extraordinary!  She saved my life!!  We went for our usual evening walk when we came upon a large van in a driveway, blocking the sidewalk.  Quinn stiffened up and wouldn't move an inch.  I was trying to "read" her and I thought she smelled another animal.  While I was trying to find out what the matter was, the van suddenly moved off the driveway and sidewalk and into the street in a matter of seconds.  The timing was so crucial and if Quinn didn't alert me I wouldn't be alive right now.  I thought the van was parked.  I could not hear the van motor running.  Once I over came the shock of nearly being killed, I bent down to Quinn and gave her lots of hugs and told her was a good job she did.  Quinn was my hero!!
                                      Marianne Brady

No comments:

Post a Comment